The William Madocks Room
William Alexander Madocks (MP) bought the Plas Tan-Yr-Allt estate in 1798. He is best known for his entrepreneurial activities as an agricultural improver in Gwynedd especially around the towns of Porthmadog and Tremadog both of which he founded and are named after him. A Member of Parliament for the town of Boston in Lincolnshire from 1802 to 1820 and then for Chippenham in Wiltshire from 1820 to 1826. The youngest son of John Madocks, a Denbighshire landowner and successful London barrister. He thus grew up in London and Kent but with frequent visits to family and friends in North Wales.
He and his family were keen amateur actors and singers, taking part in theatricals at Wynnstay. Madocks’ childhood home in Kent had a small theatre and he built theatre’s at both Dolmelynllyn near Dolgellau, his first home in Wales, and in Tremadog itself.
Perhaps his greatest achievement was the construction of the the great sea wall in Porthmadog known as the ‘Cob’. This enabled the development of the Ffestiniog Railway which in turn facilitated the transportation of world famous Welsh slate around the globe.
The William Madocks Room commands breathtaking sea and mountain views and guests are able to see and hear the steam trains crossing the Cob all year round.
From £133.00 to include a hearty cooked Welsh Breakfast with a selection of cereals, compote, toast, fresh fruits, yogurts and juices. (Everything sourced, where possible, from quality local produce).
Miss Hilda’s Edwardian Cream Tea is served in the Drawing Room or during the summer months on the Veranda between 3pm – 4:30pm
By booking direct our rates are the lowest online guaranteed.
- Original Domed Ceiling
- King Size Four Poster Bed with superior quality mattress
- Luxury Goose Down Pillows and Duvet
- Finest Egyptian Cotton Bed Linen
- Sumptuous furnishings with original Fireplace and many period features
- 32 Inch LCD TV with built in DVD Player / Radio
- Dressing Table
- Room Safe
- Dolce Gusto Coffee Pod Machine
- Hospitality Tray with selection of fine teas,coffee pods and bottled water with fresh milk daily
- Selection of Tourist Information Leaflets
- Additional Anti-Allergy Bed Linen
- Box of Tissues.
- Hair Dryer
- Trouser Press
- Iron / Ironing Board
- Ample Wooden & Padded Clothes Hangers
- Fresh Flowers
- Double Aspect with panoramic views
- Individual Thermostat Controlled Heating
- Bath with Thermostat Controlled Power Shower
- Slate Underfloor Heating
- Heated Towel Rail
- Selection of Luxury Toiletries
- Complimentary Shower Cap
- Superior Quality Bath Towels
- Razor / Electric Toothbrush Point
Additional requests available