Percy Bysshe Shelley was one of the major English Romantic poets. He was regarded by some as among the finest lyric and philosophical poets in the English language and certainly one of the most influential. Shelley was a key member of a close circle of visionary poets and writers that included Lord Byron, John Keats, Thomas Love Peacock, and his own second wife, Mary Shelley, the author of ‘Frankenstein’. He lived here at The Plas from 1812 – 1813 where he completed epic poem Queen Mab ‘All things are recreated’.
A ‘possible’ assassination attempt took place here at Plas Tan-Yr-Allt in late February 1813 and as a result, Shelley and his wife left never to return. Shelley later went on to marry Mary Shelley the creator of ‘Frankenstein’.
Some writers have even suggested that the ‘apparition’ Shelley saw during that fateful February night, known as ‘Shelley’s Ghost‘, was the impetus behind Mary Shelley’s most famous creation……..
Shelley’s Theatre is aptly named after the great ‘literary maestro’ and located in the oldest part of the house dating back to the 15th century. Guests can now stay in the very area where he conducted poetry recitals to a captive audience and penned his ‘magnum opus’.
From £133.00 to include a hearty cooked Welsh Breakfast with a selection of cereals, compote, toast, fresh fruits, yogurts and juices. (Everything sourced where possible from quality local produce).
Miss Hilda’s Edwardian Cream Tea is served in the Drawing Room or during the summer on the Veranda between 3pm – 4:30pm.
By booking direct our rates are the lowest online guaranteed.
- Vaulted Ceiling with original beams and walk in lobby area
- Super King Size Four Poster Bed with superior quality mattress
- Luxury Goose Down Pillows and Duvet
- Finest Egyptian Cotton Bed Linen
- Sumptuous furnishings with original Fireplace and many period features
- 32 Inch LCD TV with built in DVD Player / Radio
- Dressing Table
- Room Safe
- Dolce Gusto Coffee Pod Machine
- Hospitality Tray with selection of fine teas,coffee pods and bottled water with fresh milk daily
- Selection of Tourist Information Leaflets
- Additional Anti-Allergy Bed Linen
- Box of Tissues
- Hair Dryer
- Trouser Press
- Iron / Ironing Board
- Ample Wooden & Padded Clothes Hangers
- Fresh Flowers
- Double Aspect with views over Shelley’ s monument and beyond
- Individual Thermostat Controlled Heating
- Bath with Thermostat Controlled Power Shower
- Slate Underfloor Heating
- Heated Towel Rail
- Selection of Luxury Toiletries
- Complimentary Shower Cap
- Superior Quality Bath Towels
- Razor / Electric Toothbrush Point
- Ample storage for toiletries
Additional requests available