Mary Hilda, known as ‘Hilda’ was born here at The Plas in 1855. Daughter of John Whitehead Greaves founder of Llechwedd Slate Caverns and aunt of Sir Clough Williams- Ellis the creator of world famous Portmeirion. Known for her generosity and kindness she made several changes to the the house which are evident today including a mural of ‘The Triumph of Neptune’ commissioned no less than by Sir Clough himself.
In Edwardian society the ‘At Home’ afternoon was an important social event. Her afternoon tea was a truly splendid affair here at Plas Tan-Yr-Allt. There would be scones, jam and cream, iced fancies, meringues and fruit cake, popularly known as ‘cut and come again cake’. During the afternoon carriages would arrive at regular intervals. Ladies bedecked in their latest finery, protected against the suns glare by delicate parasols, would gather on the lawn. Coachmen and gentry alike ate extremely well, and they all said they loved to come to Plas Tan-Yr-Allt.
Carrying on this delightful and traditional aspect guests can once again enjoy Miss Hilda’s Edwardian Cream Tea.Taken in the Drawing Room or during the summer months on the Veranda between 3pm – 4:30pm.[More…]
Miss Hilda’s with its quaint Half Tester – Be wrapped up and cossetted by her old world charm whilst enjoying spectacular views over the Glaslyn Estuary to the sea and mountains beyond.
From £123.50 to include a hearty cooked Welsh Breakfast with a selection of cereals, compote, toast, fresh fruits, yogurts and juices (Everything sourced where possible from quality local produce).
Our historic country house offers the perfect opportunity to kick back and discover some of the finer things in life.
By booking direct our rates are the lowest online guaranteed.
The nitty gritty
- Double Bed with Half Tester Canopy & superior quality mattress
- Luxury Goose Down Pillows and Duvet
- Finest Egyptian Cotton Bed Linen
- Sumptuous furnishings with original Fireplace and many period features
- 32 Inch LCD TV with built in DVD Player / Radio
- Hi-speed Wi-Fi
- Dressing Table
- Room Safe
- Dolce Gusto Coffee Pod Machine
- Hospitality Tray with selection of fine teas,coffee pods and bottled water with fresh milk daily
- Selection of Tourist Information Leaflets
- Additional Anti-Allergy Bed Linen
- Box of Tissues
- Hair Dryer
- Trouser Press
- Iron / Ironing Board
- Ample Wooden & Padded Clothes Hangers
- Fresh Flowers
- Double Aspect with panoramic views
- Individual Thermostat Controlled Heating
- Bath with Thermostat Controlled Power Shower
- Slate Underfloor Heating
- Heated Towel Rail
- Selection of Luxury Toiletries
- Complimentary Shower Cap
- Superior Quality Super Soft Bath Towels
- Razor / Electric Toothbrush Point
- Ample storage for toiletries
Additional requests available